Thursday, September 24, 2009

Kirtland trip for my birthday, my amazing blessings.

The Relief Society in my ward (womens' organization) planned a ladies only retreat overnight the weekend of my birthday (this past weekend) to Kirtland, Ohio. This is a place of church history in my church. I have been there quite a few times, but I was looking forward to some time away from the kids and to myself to kind of refuel spiritually. I felt so guilty wanting to go because I know how hard it is on Frank with the kids by himself. But, typical best husband in the world, he was excited for me and encouraged me to go (I really love him). I was a little bummed about being gone for most of my birthday. I did get a call singing to me first thing Saturday and everyone waited up to help me open presents before Frank and I were able to go have a nice dinner (thank you America!) after I returned home.

It turned out amazing, honestly. I just really needed to hear the messages about Women of Light. I felt like it was all what I needed to hear. I really felt the Spirit a lot on this trip. It's exactly what I needed. All of the planners deserve all the credit because each part they planned was amazing. I was a driver, and I enjoyed getting to know the ladies picked for my car. We stayed at a friend of the retreat organizer, Lavon Maiersperger. The place was huge and beautiful and me and 45 of my closest friends stayed with them. :) Talk about good friends. Here's a picture of us watching a Brian Regan dvd. That guy is hilarious and CLEAN, thank goodness. We played silly games too. We also had a lot of yummie snacks. The food was awesome!
We toured lots of sites and felt of the history and spirit there. The missionaries called to serve their missions as tour guides to the sites kept remarking that they couldn't believe we were all from one ward! With all those women, he was sure we'd be a Stake! The Brighton Ward is fabulous. I feel blessed to be a part of it.
Here we all are in front of the Kirtland, Ohio temple. This temple isn't owned by our church anymore, but it was nice to meet on the grounds. President Hedquist, our Stake President, came down just to speak to us, and then we had a great testimony meeting. President Hedquist is a special man. He is going to be released from this calling in a few weeks.


A part of the retreat was some time scheduled for personal reflection that we could do what we wanted really. We were given an envelope that we were to open at that time which I thought were some questions to direct our reflection towards the theme, "Women of Light." Instead, we were given two letters. One was from our Bishop, Seth Cook. It was a great letter because you could tell that Seth felt the importance of a retreat like this for us and he wanted us to know how much he values us. He said, "I have pondered deeply to know what message the Lord would have me share with you. I believe it is to emphasize the potential you have to touch the lives around you. When I say you, I partially mean you as a group of Latter-day Saint women, but more specifically I mean you as an individual. I mean you, the one whose hands are now holding this letter – you will make a difference in the lives around you...I imagine you, Sister, as one of the fingertips of the ward; capable of reaching out the furthest and where the one-on-one touching and changing of lives happens. As a woman of light, a woman who loves and lives the gospel, you have light to share."

The other letter that I thought was questions turned out to be a LOVE letter from my sweet husband, Frank. Thank you so much Julie Robinson for getting all of these for everyone. I will always hold mine dear! It was such a surprise to me to have him there with me in the form of the letter, and I just balled through the whole thing. I really am so blessed! What I did to be given a man such as him I'll never know, but I am SO thankful for him. This past Monday was our 13th anniversary! Frank says I can share a tiny bit: "1994 - This is the year that I remembered how much I love you, the year that I found you again, the year that everything was made perfect again. 1995-1996 - Never in my whole life was I as sure about anything as I was when we got engaged and then married. There are just things in life that you know for certain and this was and is the most certain thing I have ever felt...That makes it 21 years that I have known you, 18 years that I have been 100% sure that I was in love with you, and 13 years that I have been married to you. What an amazing time it has been. The more I listen to people at work complain about this or that with their spouses, the more I realize how unique a love we have. To have your wife be your best friend as well is one of the greatest blessings a guy can have. I just know that someday when your hair is blue and mine is gone we will still be walking hand in hand along some path, break wall, or beach enjoying each others opinion on whatever we see and living, at least for that moment, without a care or worry in the world because we have each other. I love you Angie, and I always will." I'm crying again! Well, it was a great experience, really uplifting, and you wouldn't believe how happy I was to see Frank, India, Max and Sidney when I returned. I missed them all so much. After I read Frank's letter, I wanted to read my patriarchal blessing (a written blessing members of our church can get to help guide their lives). It is such a blessing. Again, as I read it, completely new things popped out to me in it that I never noticed before. I have such a testimony that it really is personal revelation to me, and I am thankful that I live in a time to be able to have it. I know it's not normal for me to write all this, but I REALLY want this blog to be like a journal (someday I'll get there...). Thanks for listening.

2 comments:

Julie Barb said...

Angie...I loved reading this post...it is my favorite post of your so far I think:) You really captured the essence of the whole weekend in Kirtland through your words and descriptions. I also loved reading Franks letter...what a beautiful tribute to you and your marriage!

Julie

Erin said...

Now I am crying :) That Frank sure is a wonderful man :)