Monday, February 2, 2009

Upper Peninsula Snowmobiling

This past weekend India, Max, and I (Frank) went to my parent's house in Trout Lake, Michigan to do some snowmobiling. In truth it was really a trip for my dad and I to go out while the kids got some Grandma time.



Trout Lake is sort of a crossroads of snowmobiling in the eastern U.P. with 5 trails coming together. My dad had decided that we would head for Naubinway along US2 near the southern edge of the U.P. The trip normally goes west out of Trout Lake to Rexton, then northwest in the direction of Newberry before heading south to Naubinway. However, we took the wrong trail out of Rexton and ended up going south to Epoufette which was fine since that is one of our normal destinations to have lunch at the Cut River Inn. We decided just to eat lunch and then head back to Trout Lake by the normal trail (straight shot). In total the trip was about 3 hours and 60 miles with a large chunk of that inside the Cut River Inn waiting for our food.


Later we took India and Max out for ride "around the block". Basically this meant a short trail ride to the other side of the lake, then out on the lake to see Grandpa's ice fishing shanty that he shares with one of his friends. From there we went back around the lake to Grandma and Grandpa's house. Last year Max fell asleep on the snowmobile and this year India copied him. How do you fall asleep on a snowmobile? I'll never understand, and I'm a Cheney which means I can fall asleep almost anywhere. Oh, I should add a note about the shanty...This is a fully insulated and heated shanty complete with padded bench and battery operated lights. You kind of get the feeling that Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor made this thing.


Our trip also meant that Angie got to have good one-on-one time with Sidney and some much needed "Angie time" whenever he was sleeping. We all missed each other a lot, but it was a good shake up to every one's routine. However, Angie is thinking that Max's attitude toward her has been permanently changed. We'll see. I think he'll always be a mama's boy.

2 comments:

Angie Cheney said...

I can't BELIEVE you wrote a blog entry! It's awesome! Thank you for this weekend. I missed you all SO much. You changed Max FOREVER.

Q'Ville said...

Oh, what fun, Frank. And those lucky g'parents. Angie: I need to get some tips on trickin' out my blog like YOU!!! I've learned to post and change my background. Baby steps.